Civic Newsfeed Powered by Countable
Trump fumes as New York inquiry turns criminal - do you support the probe?
Do you support or oppose NY's criminal probe into the Trump Organization?
By Josh Herman, Countable News
What's the story?
- Former President Donald Trump has lashed out after the New York attorney general said her investigation into the Trump Organisation has been expanding from a civil to a criminal probe.
- “We have informed the Trump Organization that our investigation into the company is no longer purely civil in nature,” Fabien Levy, a spokesperson for Attorney General Letitia James, said in a statement Tuesday.
- “We are now actively investigating the Trump Organization in a criminal capacity, along with the Manhattan DA."
- The AG's statement did not say what expanded the inquiry to a criminal probe, or whether Trump might be personally implicated in any allegations.
- Trump responded on Wednesday that James was "in desperate search of a crime" and accused the AG and District Attorney Cyrus Vance of being "possessed" by their Democratic political vendettas.
- "After prosecutorial efforts the likes of which nobody has ever seen before, they failed to stop me in Washington, so they turned it over to New York to do their dirty work. This is what I have been going through for years," Trump said in a statement.
- James has been scrutinizing the ex-president's financial dealings before he took office.
- Vance’s office has not announced what it's investigating - citing grand jury secrecy rules - though some details emerged during protracted court battles to gain access to Trump's tax records: legal filings cited newspaper articles about alleged bank and insurance fraud at the Trump Organization.
Inspector General finds Lafayette Park wasn't cleared for Trump's visit to St. John’s ChurchBy Eric Revell, Countable News What’s the story? The Dept. of the Interior Inspector General on Wednesday released a report
Senate committees release bipartisan report detailing intelligence & security failures related to January 6th Capitol RiotBy Eric Revell, Countable News What’s the story? A pair of Senate committees on Tuesday released a bipartisan report finding
Over half of all Americans have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccineBy Eric Revell, Countable News This content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You